Wallhack, bug or feature?

Hello forum, after many disputes i finally want to know the truth, wallhack thats an bug or feature? or it was an bug but now its an feature? if thats an bug why it is allready not fixed? if thats an feature why clonks can fire throught walls? where is the logic?

It depends.
Usually, wallhacks are possible because the bullet / grenade is created at the end of the weapon. If this end is at the other side of the wall, you can shoot “through” walls. (Mostly seen as a bug).
On the other side, a part of the developers likes the possibility of wallhacks and makes them possible. (Feature).

There is no clear solution for this. For example, the CMC team sees it as a bug and sets the possibility against zero.

In the official packs, it was probably a bug that was then accepted as feature. If it was not intended by now, there is no logical reason why nobody fixed it over the last 15+ years.

I know why wallhacking is possible, but i dont know if thats an CR feature, or thats an a bug what had not fixed allready. Wallhacking is also possible in default scenarios, for excample default crossbow can wallhack, but why it can if thats an bug? or thats not an bug?

"In the official packs, it was probably a bug that was then accepted as feature."
Thats that what i wanted to know

Use > for quoting.
E.g.

>In the official packs, it was probably a bug that was then accepted as feature.

>Use > for quoting. E.g.

Thx.

Only the one who originally coded the bow can answer that for sure, but I can at least tell you that it is intended for the Metal&Magic musket and I intentionally did not change it back when I reworked the CR arrows.

Why? It gives more weight on tactical positions on the map. If it would not be possible to shoot through stuff, you would basically only have fights where both Clonks stand in the clear and shoot at each other. But with the ability to shoot through thin stuff, you can now instead look for a tactically better location to take cover!
Defending a tower is easier than attacking it, because you are relatively safe behind your own walls. Similarily, you can use loam walls to create temporary covers. In my opinion, it allows for MORE tactical play.

>It gives more weight on tactical positions on the map. If it would not be possible to shoot through stuff, you would basically only have fights where both Clonks stand in the clear and shoot at each other. But with the ability to shoot through thin stuff, you can now instead look for a tactically better location to take cover!
>Defending a tower is easier than attacking it, because you are relatively safe behind your own walls. Similarily, you can use loam walls to create temporary covers. In my opinion, it allows for MORE tactical play.

Also gives victory for that player who is camping and wallhacking in fast melees. Wallhacking crossbow is an invulnerable death machine

>Only the one who originally coded the bow can answer that for sure

I think the one who coded the crossbow can answer it, thats why im asking on forum that, are forum have peoples who coded the crossbow etc?

>are forum have peoples who coded the crossbow etc?

Well, that was either Randrian or me (probably Randrian, because he made the assassin)

PS:

>Also gives victory for that player who is camping and wallhacking in fast melees. Wallhacking crossbow is an invulnerable death machine

Then the melee probably has some design problems? (Such as using "last man standing" instead of "deathmatch")

> Also gives victory for that player who is camping and wallhacking in fast melees.

Depends on how the melee is designed. If it's Last Man Standing with no other incentives, then going into a camping position is obviously best. But those melees typically don't work anyay because camping will always be the best strategy.

If you add other incensitves - e.g. capture the flag, hold a checkpoint, place a bomb or even just number of kills in 3+ player melees - camping options become irrelevant and there's no reason to remove the strategic element.

>Well, that was either Randrian or me (probably Randrian, because he made the assassin)

Crossbow as in the objects.c4d crossbow I believe :wink:

>Then the melee probably has some design problems?

Like XMV.

>Crossbow as in the objects.c4d crossbow I believe :wink:

Yes, the original crossbow i mean

I wouldn't say its a bug (I wouldn't even say it's wallhack because the clonk-client is not being hacked at all and uhm…we're still talking about 2D, what walls do you want to see clonks through? ESP would be much more convienient as a hack) it seems to be more of a workaround for not killing yourself with a bow (or projectile based weapon). I guess back in the day noone really thought about it because it probably didn't happen often or there is some hardcoded stuff about arrows (or damage through physical impact) that would simply be too much to recode just for the bow to work "realisticly".

We'll probably never know but I think the hardcoded physics engine is the deal here… The way they dealt with it can be seen as intended and therefore it is a feature.